Friday, February 23, 2007

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff



What do you get when you mix a bit of mind-reading with a terrorist takeover and intimate relations between first cousins? Well not exacty HowI Live Now but you will find these elements in this story that resists definition. When exactly does it take place? What is this magical place in England where Daisy and her cousins find themselves without adults but with the threat of war hanging in the air?

So many questions, but where lie the answers? Ah in the book of course when you pick it up and live through the turbulent happenings of the main characters. I did my first booktalk on How I Live Now a few months back and struggled with the aspects that I wanted to reveal to my captive audience without giving away too much of the plot. What I finally settled on was a reading of the first chapter followed by a couple of cliffhanger questions to get their curiosity piqued. I'm sure there are more effective ways of making this book attractive to a teen audience but this being my first booktalk I allowed the book to do the talking. I still need to revisit my experience in a formal write-up for class. I feel that practice will make me more comfortable in this "selling" of books.

No comments: