Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

Don't try to cross Archie Costello or the Vigils! Jerry stands his ground and refuses to sell chocolates for the school fundraiser. Repercussions abound as different forces work to make him follow the straight line. Evil characters shape destinies and their machinations go unpunished. By the end of the story you find yourself ready to support Jerry and fight back against those that deserve some form of retribution.

Alas this is just a story and the corrupt Brother Leroy, heartless manipulator Archie Costello and violent Emile are just out of reach. Defying the expectation of an uplifting ending, Cormier leaves the reader with an ache for justice against those that only produce hatred. I feel sorry for Jerry but glad that he moved in the affirmative to T.S. Eliot's question, "Do I dare disturb the universe?"

Teenagers will be able to identify with the peer pressure and blind actions of the sheep-like student body. On the surface Cormier seems to say that if you try to rock the boat you will be pummeled from all sides without mercy. This is the fate of Jerry. Gauging my reaction, however, I think Cormier leaves such a bitter aftertaste that I want to fight the forces of conformity and take a stand at whatever cost. Perhaps this will be the trace left in the adolescent reader and their future actions will take into consideration the sacrifice of one freshman who decided to say no.

The reading of this book reminds me of the visceral reaction to a car accident: the curious gaze trying to figure out what happened coupled with the guilt of having witnessed something tragic. Even though these are just made-up characters I feel that I should have done something to help Jerry out against the overwhelming forces he faced. Perhaps I’m reminded of times in my own life when the earth seems to tilt in a direction that always has me trudging uphill. Times when you might need a little help but might not know how to ask for it. I thank Jerry for facing the impossible without hope and achieving success through the small act of survival.

No comments: