Thursday, March 08, 2007

Looking for Alaska by John Green

I listened to this story on my way to and from work. Set at a boarding school in Alabama we become familiar with Pudge, the Colonel and the unforgettable Alaska Young. Culver Creek sounds like a pretty interesting place to be receiving an education--for Pudge this learning extends outside of the classroom. He is in search of the Great Perhaps and the adventures awaiting him in a sweltering Alabama deliver him to that unknown precipice.

When one of the main characters exits the story the rest of the characters must deal with the loss in whatever way they can. Green lets us experience the struggles inherent in facing the mystery of life. His characters shine with individuality and mirror humanity's incessant need to both push the bounds and question authority. Read it now!

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I'm testing out HTML here on my practice blog. Here it goes: Let me tell you about Google Reader which I've been using for a few months now.